Saturday, May 09, 2015

Too many business books are structured like this

  1. This book contains my idea
  2. My idea has helped me, and other folks too.
  3. Lots of people like my idea. 
  4. I call my idea X. It is a great idea. It is better than many previous ideas, even previous ideas that might be similar to this idea.
  5. Here is how some previous ideas failed.
  6. Here is a list of the ways in which other previous ideas were inadequate.
  7. Note how the ideas that had partial success contain these aspects X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X6 which are more effective when combined into my idea X.
  8. Here are 50 pages of testimonials about how great my idea is, and how useful it has been to different people.
  9. ...?
  10. After I've given up reading, maybe there comes the part where the author explains his idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment