Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Yankee Candle Fundraiser Magazine Subscription Wastes Trees and Time

My daughter's school was having a Yankee Candle Fundraiser. I didn't want any of the Yankee Candles, but the fundraising catalog also included magazine subscriptions. So I ordered a magazine subscription. Weeks later, the order arrives in a box. My daughter is excited: What's in the box?

Inside the box is a piece of paper with a postcard and a website address and an activation code. I need to either send in the postcard or go to the website in order to get the magazine subscription.

Could they have saved 2 or 3 bucks off the subscription price by not sending this information in a box? How about an envelope? Or an email? Or just signing me up for the subscription, as I expected would happen?

Maybe they save enough money from people losing the coupons to make it worth it.

Not wanting to waste my $15, I log onto the website and fill in the information and the name of what magazine I want, again.

They send me a confirmation email:
Dear Margery,

Thank you for ordering from TheMagazineStoreOnline.com and supporting our fundraiser!
Please review the details for order #12345 below. ...
Please remember it takes between 8 and 10 weeks for your magazine subscription(s) to begin.
8 to 10 weeks. The irony is, my order is for a subscription to Fast Company.

1 comment: