Stepped outside this morning and the air smelled of roses. After I walked past a block I finally saw two scraggly white roses, but they could not have inundated the entire neighborhood all by themselves.
There were other flowers, mainly wildflowers around.
The most common one, ones that are growing in our front yard under the lilacs, are these clustered miniature daisies. Along the roadside there were also goldenrod plus miniature yellow-orange lilies.
I wish botany was still part of every child's education.
Since my childhood and likely since before that, we've been raising people who can't describe their environment.
When I was growing up, my parents' bookcase contained a book from a series called "ECSK" = "Every Child Should Know". I can't now remember if it was entitled "Flowers Every Child Should Know" or "Trees Every Child Should Know", but I think both were part of the series.
My bad not reading it.
No comments:
Post a Comment